Re: TR-Petrol Tank

To: POCHE@MUSIC.LOYNO.EDU, British-Cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR-Petrol Tank
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 94 17:12:06 -0800
In message  <08FEB94.17635840.0026.MUSIC@MUSIC.LOYNO.EDU>
"POCHE@music.loyno.edu" writes:
> SendMail TO(BritCars) Subj(TR-Petrol Tank) File(FEB08941.oma)
> BlackTiger Mailer - Msg Created 02-08-1994 .. 15:53:55
> >
> >From: "POCHE@music.loyno.edu" <POCHE@music.loyno.edu>
> >
> >(anyone got a TR-3 gas tank laying around?)
> >
> >TRFis selling new and very good repro ones for both early and late
> >cars (they're different).
> >
> >     -john
> >

> Yea I have $een it. BUT the price!!!!!!!!!
> With all the other stuff that my car needs a gas tank is not on
> the priority list.........
> The one from the boat (in the trunk) works fine for now.

Your chances of finding a good condition TR3 petrol tank are actually quite
poor.  The factory used felt pads under the tank and under the tie down straps.
The tank is in a closed off area where moisture can easily enter but not get
out, so those pads hold water for a very long time.

Mine was rusted through in one spot and almost all the way through in a couple
of others.  I went to a yard that had 10 plus tanks saved from dismanteled Tr3s.
Every one of them were in bad shape.

I ended up taking mine down to the local radiator shop where I had it boild out
and patches welded on to the badly corroded areas.  My tank went back in with
inner tube rubber glued to the tank.  Mo more felt pads!

Try to get your old one fixed if you can.

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561