Re: Interchanging Wheels

To: Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com
Subject: Re: Interchanging Wheels
From: sfisher@Megatest.COM (Scott Fisher)
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 94 11:12:17 PST
> From Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com Tue Feb  1 06:43:43 1994
> Date: 1 Feb 1994 08:32:36 U
> From: "Dave Lapham" <Dave_Lapham@oakqm3.sps.mot.com>
> Subject: Interchanging Wheels
> To: "Scions of Lucas" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
> I'm looking for a 15", five bolt wheel with a five inch bolt pattern
> (all holes are centered on a circle which has a diameter of five
> inches) for my Big Healey vintage racer.  I'd like a five (or
> preferably a 5 1/2) inch width with a four inch offset (the wheel
> should extend four inches inward from the surface of the brake
> drum against which it mounts).

You'll have to measure the width and offset, but here's the relevant
information on 5-on-5 wheels.  (Yeah, I know it's probably just because
of the alphabet, but isn't it cool to see the Big Healey at the top of
the list? :-)

5 on 5
        Austin-Healy 3000
        Buick LeSabre, Centurion, Riviera, Electra
        Buick - Electra, LeSabre, Riviera, (most full-size) '35-'87
        Cadillac - DeVille, Fleetwood '38-'89
                 - SeVille '77-'79
        Chevrolet 3/4 ton vans
        Chevrolet - Bel Air, Biscayne, Impala, Caprice, Kingswood '71-'76
                  - above w/HD package wagons '77-'89
                  - Blazer 2WD '71-'83
        Chrysler - Imperial '67-'71
        Ford, LTD '73-'75
        Ford - T-Bird '72-'76
             - Galaxie, LTD, Custom '73-'78
        Lincoln - all (exc Versailles) '60-'67; '73-'79
        Mercury - all '55-'60
                - Cougar, XR7 '73-'77
        Oldsmobile - all full size RWD '40-'87
        Packard - all '51-'55
        Pontiac - all full size RWD '40-'86
        Rover

> they're typically six inches wide.  In fact every fifteen inch
> wheel I've found by scrounging through junk yards (excuse me,
> auto salvage centers) has been at least six inches wide.

I know you can have wheels widened; I bought a set of track rims
for the Biscuit Tin of Steel, my German imitation Mini Cooper S
(hi TeriAnn!  remember, it's a joke! :-), that had originally been
5.5" stock VW steel rims before being widened to 7" (and chromed,
which wasn't particularly a feature).  So I presume you can
probably have them narrowed as well.

But why not 6"?  Rules for your vintage organization?  I believe I've
seen Big Healeys with 6" rims, and with the torque that a well-tuned
3000 can put out, you can use the rubber.

If I might suggest, without knowing your budget: there's a company in
Florida that advertises modern Minilite replicas for something like
$159 each in 15" diameters (basically, the first two digits of the
price match the diameter).  They offer custom drilling and backspace
fitment to meet your needs.  Check out a copy of Grass Roots Motorsports
magazine or probably Victory Lane for an advertisement.  (What, is the
thought of a mere $600 keeping you from making this purchase?  Either
you're new to racing and haven't become inured to spending money you
don't have, or you've been racing for long enough that you've run out
of credit cards. :-)

Meanwhile, I hope the list of cars above gives you some assistance in
putting the car together.  Best of luck!

--Scott