Re: Chrome Plating

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: Chrome Plating
From: Dangerous Dan <CSCON115@uoft02.utoledo.edu>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 1994 12:36:27 -0500 (EST)
I have checked around to re-chrome my bumpers on my 66 E-Type
and have found that 1000 is about standard.  This suprised me because
the bumpers on my 68 pontiac are much MUCH bigger and the lot cost me
about 400.

The worst part about it is that a new set of bumpers for an E is usually
250 per (times 4 is 1000) the same price as re-chroming!

So what you might want to do is take an ad (ie. Welsh Jag) with you to the
chromer. NOTE: You MUST take a PRINTED ad with you or this will not
work. When he sais 1000, show him the ad tell him that you are going to
buy them new if he doesn't drop his price. I have done similar things
with different car parts and it seems to work most of the time. Usually
the chromer will take less of a profit, instead of NO profit.

If you do not bring an ad with you and you just tell him that new bumpers
are the same price, they do not beleive you and they tell you to go buy new.
(They think you are bluffing and call you on it.)

Try it and tell me if it worked for you.

* .... (that cat) streched out a lazy claw and spiked a young onlooker in   *
*  his tracks.  It was too easy.  The great cat yawned and looked away.     *
*  - Car and Driver, (June 1990) : Jaguar's Glorious E-Type                 *
*             1966  E-Type Jaguar  Series I  (2+2)  4.2L  Triple SU         *
*             Internet address:    IN%"CSCON115@UOFT02.UTOLEDO.EDU"         *