Re: Who's the watchdog?

To: DANIELS@LMSBVX.TAMU.EDU
Subject: Re: Who's the watchdog?
From: sfisher@Megatest.COM (Scott Fisher)
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 94 13:36:15 PST
> I'm often tempted to reply to the
> sender explaining how it works, but I usually figure that some other kind
> soul has already done so.   Is this really happening?  Is somebody acting
> as the SOL Internet travel guide to lead these wayward strangers?

I've acted as the default ombudsman (somehow, in the context of this
list, that word makes me think of the result had Dodge's recently
discontinued FWD four-door box been designed jointly with Messerschmidt).
That is, I try to forward obviously wrong messages to british-cars-request,
with an explanatory note to the poster about where to send what.  However,
this varies depending on a) how busy I am and b) the message-sender's
position on the politeness-cluelessness continuum.

The problem, of course, is that people who want to subscribe to the
list aren't *on* it, and therefore can't read anything we say here
about the Right Way to subscribe.  Is there still a monthly posting
on one of the retch.autos groups?

For that matter, how else do we (heh) advertise for new list members?  If
there's some generic list, we should make sure that that list has the
appropriate directions.

--Scott "Oh nooooo!  He said the A word!" Fisher