Re: Silver Bulletin

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, cobra@cdc.hp.com
Subject: Re: Silver Bulletin
From: "GERONIMO, SC9-32, 765-4903, PAGE 231-6612" <GENDIMEN@T12SYS.intel.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 94 07:33:13 PST
Roland writes:

> Another twist in the "erratic running snake mystery".  Last night I
> decided to check a couple of things and discovered that the battery was
> completely dead.  Suspiciouser and suspicouser.  Well, this could have
> been simple dumbness I my part.  Because the ignition warning light
> stayed on when I removed the key, I decided to leave the key inserted
> with the switch in the accessories position so that the light would stay
> off.  I have no idea why this would drain the battery.  Nothing was on
> and I assume the ignition circuitry was disconnected in this mode.  So,
> I'm either over looking something obvious here or the ignition switch is
> hosed even more than I thought.  Anyway, I removed the battery ground

Roland,

It sounds like a diode in your alternator may be fried, actually shorted.  A
shorted diode allows current to flow back from the battery, through the
alternator to ground when the key is off.  I had this happen to on my GT6, I
thought it was strange to see the lamp on with the key off, but I let it go and
the next morning the battery was dead.  Remove the alternator battery lead and
the lamp should go out if this is the problem (make sure the key is off).

Mike G.