RE: Weber Rebuilding - DCOE

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Weber Rebuilding - DCOE
From: DEHAASM@NAPC-1.NAVY.MIL
Date: Tue 11 Jan 94 09:27:51-EDT
Charlie Rockwell mentions in rebuilding troubled Webers that:

> may not be firing if it is not getting any air ....

  I don't have a lot of Weber experience however this statement can
be true sometimes.  I do have a lot of experience with Fuel Injection
systems and with the help of a Color Tune I have noticed that when a
cylinder or group of cylinders is not firing there is too much air.
This might all sound very obvious but at idle as you probably know
the fuel to air ratio is much higher than when the engine is running
above idle.  An engine that is running very lean and is not running
on all cylinders will actually have a higher HydroCarbon emission than
a slightly rich running engine.  The point I'm making here is that
from my own experience the throttle plates are not closed completely.
Even the slightest gap in between the thottle plate and the carb wall
will not "activate" the idle circuit.  This may or may not be of any help
but when ever I have experienced idle problems and all of the carb is
clean and "rebuilt" it is usually a problem at the throttle plate.

Mark deHaas
dehaasm@napc-1.navy.mil