Re: Stupid Starting Tricks

To: sfisher@megatest.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stupid Starting Tricks
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 94 09:00:07 -0800
In message <9312271950.AA05677@bldg2fs1.sales> Scott Fisher writes:
> Well, it's almost all back together -- the Green Car, that is.

stuff deleted

> ....decided to crank it over.
>
> No dice.
>
> The fuel pump clicked, which was a lovely sign.  The lights were bright,
> everything seemed to be going smoothly right up to the point at which I
> turned the key from On to Start.  Nothing happened.

more stuff deleted

> So either:
>
>   - The battery just doesn't have enough amps in it to throw the starter.

Your battery connections are clean and shiney right? This includes the gnd wire
attachment to the body.

>   - The drive gear might be wedged in some weird direction, jamming the
>     solenoid arm so that it is already closed.  But from what I know
>     about electric motors (which is some, after my slot-car racing
>     experience, though probably still less than Pat V. has forgotten),
>     I would have expected to see *some* voltage flicker on the Datsun's
>     gauge if we had been dumping any current into the starter.  This
>     leads to my most likely scenario:

Here's one to try at night with the garage lights off.  Turn on the headlights
and try to turn the starter motor.  If the head lights dim big time, and the
motor isn't turning, ether its mechanically jamed or there is a short within the
windings.  Etherway, you will need to pull it.

If the headlamps do not dim big time, you are not getting electricity to the
motor windings, or at least not enough.

Dumb question #1

You did remember to replace the braided ground wire between the engine and the
chassis, right? and you know that you had good electrical connections at both
sides of the ground wire.

Dumb question #2

You mentioned all those lovely wires on one post of the solenoid.  You checked
the wire going between the other side and the starter motor?

> --Scott "I just hate having to redo work, though" Fisher

Hope you find the problem quickly,

TeriAnn

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561