Re: Stupid Starting Tricks

To: sfisher@megatest.com
Subject: Re: Stupid Starting Tricks
From: pwv@tc.fluke.COM (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 93 10:52:07 PST
Scott Fisher <sfisher@megatest.com> wrote about trying to start The Green
Car:
> ...decided to crank it over.
>
> No dice.
>
> The fuel pump clicked, which was a lovely sign.  The lights were bright,
> everything seemed to be going smoothly right up to the point at which I
> turned the key from On to Start.  Nothing happened.
>
> On the assumption that the battery might simply be too pooped to run the
> starter even if it would run the fuel pump and the lights, [...]

Easiest way to check the battery - leave the headlights on while you turn
the key - lights stay on: bad solenoid/starter; lights go out: bad battery,
shorted starter, or seized engine.

> I cleaned it externally and replaced the bolts that should have held the
> solenoid onto the starter (this is one of the integrated solenoid-starter
> units, not the Bendix drive units from earlier Bs).

Hmmm, this is suspicious.  Because you de-gooed the starter and replaced
the (missing?) solenoid mounting bolts, I'll bet the problem is goo inside
the solenoid keeping the solenoid contacts from closing and engaging the
starter.

Good luck Scott.

   Pat Vilbrandt      Fluke Corporation      Everett, Washington USA
   pwv@tc.fluke.COM or: { uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft }!fluke!pwv