Re: 1500: Cooling and performance

To: IEDXW@asuvm.inre.asu.edu
Subject: Re: 1500: Cooling and performance
From: tooze@vinny.cecer.army.mil (Marcus Tooze)
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 93 15:41:27 CST
Well, my original questions/musings were about plopping in an american
drivetrain to 1) give screaming performance without trick machineing
and constantly tweaking and tuning etc. 2) parts availability would
be easier/cheaper, and 3) I fancy doing something
like this, even though it may cost a little more/be impractiable...really
the same reason I wanted to rebuild the Midget motor myself...I`d never done it
before and but I realised I was taking the more expensive route, but
sometimes I just fancy doing it for `what the hell'!!!!

Anyway, after talking to some of the guys who own these 'things', it seems
like a fun project. Just the fact that a normal stock 'mercun motor
at 200+ hp will be a ball in a Spit!!!! English motors are just
*small* (but I love my Midget). Why not have an americam engine at stock,
which will last becuase its not overstressed by tweaking.

It can't be *that* hard...I figure just custom mounbt everything onto the frame,
then drop the body on top and lop off/out bits of the body which get in the
way!!! (eg, tran tunnel may be too small...whip it off, weld on new one!,
or maybe the shock struts protude into the trunk...who cares...lop holes
in the trunk and strengthen it a bit!!)
Perhaps I might have to have a custom drive shaft made....who cares!

Anyway...I`m getting beyond myself, I'm still just scouting around, getting
ideas. Thanks for the input though.

Marcus

P.S. I do have a set of rods BUT I may still install the 1500...who knows!!
P.P.S anything`s possible ifg you want to do it enough (apart from $$!)