engines

To: British cars <British-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: engines
From: "Zust, Fred" <FZust@admin.clemsonsc.NCR.COM>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 93 08:20:00 PST
I am going to buy a Lotus Seven or clone in the next year or so.  I have
been contemplating engines.  I know very little about the british engines
like the Opal 2000cc(GM?) but I know a fair bit about the American stuff.  I
have a Beretta GTZ which has the 2300cc Quad 4 HO with a Getrag 5 SP.  I
have installed a tuneable SuperTrap which boosts my HP to about 200 and
increases my mileage.  This engine is 10.5:1 compression ratio with EFI,
that makes this manageable under a variey of driving conditions and 87
octane gas.  Since I get 28/36mpg city/highway, and could easily increase hp
to about 210 with a different chip, I thought this might make a nice heart
for my Lotus/Lotus clone.  Oh I forgot, Redline is 7200rpm.  What is the
learned group's opinion from a performance /feasibility standpoint, and what
other engines are recommended, with what kind of HP/rpm/$$$.
Thanks in advance!!!
Fred(dreaming of spirialing up Mt Mitchell in a Seven)Zust.