GT6 Engine Woes

To: b-c@tin.monsanto.com
Subject: GT6 Engine Woes
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 93 06:49:42 -0600
I finally got the head off the GT6+ Saturday morning. I was really happy -
the block and pistons were in great shape! No ridge at the top of the bore,
and all the pistons looked solid and healthy.

What I DID find was a bad exhaust valve in #6. At first it looked like a
chip was out of it, but after cleaning off the crud, it looked more like it
had been eaten away or something. The other valves looked pretty good to me.
They hadn't receded into their seats or anything. I have put many miles on this
engine with unleaded premium gas, so I am convinced that for the most part,
no special seats are really needed. True, I have one bad valve, but since the
other 11 all looked so healthy, I presume this one went south for some other
reason.

The head's in the shop now. After I get an official analysis from them I'll
report it. Especially their opinion on the condition of all the valves and
seats.

Now that everything's apart, I've decided to rebuild the carbs and clean and
paint the manifolds. Naturally, I've ignored all the manifold painting
discussion in the past. What was the name of the stainless steel paint folks
were talking about?

I'm getting the Haynes Z-S Carb manual. Any comments on it? Anyone have any
advice or instructions on rebuilding a Z-S CD150?

Thanks,

Larry