Re: British Cars Digest #1030 Thu Dec 16 00:04:24 MST 1993

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #1030 Thu Dec 16 00:04:24 MST 1993
From: jesup@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Randell Jesup)
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 93 13:45:48 -0500
>Subject: Read-end clatter (sigh)
>
>O woe...   my TR6 right rear end is making this clatter.  It's getting worse.
>I wonder what it is?  It happens on bumpy roads and doesn't seem to be drive-
>train.  That is, clatters under acceleration, decel, coasting.  Pushing down
>on the car while parked makes it klunk but I can't see where.

        I'm afraid you have the normal TR6 problem: bad ujoints.  Note that
ujoints spin regardless of accel, decel, or gear (though it's more normal
for them to complain more under torque - but my experience with their failure
modes is limited).

        Remember: on a TR6 new ujoints are a regular maintenance item.  :-(

        The other normal rear drivetrain failing to check is for a busted
differential mount.  The bolts holding the diff can rip right out of the
"bridge" they attach to.  On second thought, this might match your symptoms
more closely.  If so, you're going to get to know your local welding god.
(My TR6 had the whole "bridge" for the diff replaced sometime in its past.)

Regarding "commercial" input to the BC list:

        I'm all in favor of it, so long as the list doesn't become a
pure advertising supplement.  I'd love to see them answering questions;
I'd have no problem if their sigs had their affiliation and phone number;
I'd like announcements of major sales or new catalogs being available
(ala the TRF winter sale).  If a new part previously unavailable becomes
available, a small notice to that effect would be fine.   Occasional
advertising of special prices/sales/whatever (not every week), so long as it's
short and sweet would also be ok in my book.

        If any company steps over the collective bounds of good "citizenship",
I'm sure we can deal with it as a group.  I'd hope it will never be
necessary to do so.

        I also think that the companies would be rewarded for taking part,
both in general image with their customers, and I think some of us would
certainly feel they should support those who were kind enough to answer
our questions here.  We also probably carry a fair bit of influence in
the non-net lbc community, I suspect.

        I'd also like to thank Dana for being involved over the years, and
I hope that they will increase their participation.  I also hope that other
suppliers will find a connection to the list, and that the members of the
list will support those who do participate here.

mjb writes:
>I for one would like to see the TRF price list available over the wire,
>either directly from TRF (I doubt they have the connectivity and software
>to do so) or as something available through WAIS or mosaic type programs,
>at the list a text file or two on the FTP site.

        Oooh, dangerous.

>Wow, I just had an idea that would be very dangerous to my finances.  But
>wouldn't it be neat to have a graphical interface to the various catalogs,
>so you could fire up the program, click on the parts you need, see the price
>and availability status, then click on the "Order" button ...

        VERY dangerous! :-)

        Randell Jesup