MIG welders...

To: mopar@casbah.acns.nwu.edu, meeq462@hermes.chpc.utexas.edu,
Subject: MIG welders...
From: kburtch@pts.mot.com (Kevin Burtch)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 93 14:12:50 EST
I found a used MIG welder not long ago, I didn't have time to check it out
very well, but it had four heat (amperage?) settings, and a variable wire
feed speed. (not stepped speed) I forgot the brand. I don't know much about
them, but I need to learn! It seems like the best welder for the type of
stuff I need. It is a 110V unit, but I'm not sure of the amperage, (output) I
think it's around 100. (sound realistic?) It has a lightweight handle, not
like those with the built-in spool. (remote spool/feed) It has all of the hoses
and guages (I think) but no tank. (I know you have to rent them)

Questions:
        How do I test this thing to make sure it is useable?
        Is it worth $140? (yes one-forty, seems cheep to me)
        Any suggestions on what to watch out for?
        Any good books/videos to learn MIG welding? (never done MIG)
        How much amperage would I need to weld 1/8" steel? (or 11 guage?)

Thanks to all who respond! (I really want this thing, it's almost in my budget!)

Kevin