TR4 fun & games

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (british cars list)
Subject: TR4 fun & games
From: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies)
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 1993 13:11:51 +0000 (GMT)
hi

My TR4 is fixed!

I thought you might be pleased to hear some minor troubles have been
fixed - the suggestions of various people in the group are much appreciated
and especial thanks to TerriAnn & John Lye.

1)  Driving along & suddenly the oil pressure vanished. I think
    a piece of grit or something had interfered with the pressure-relief
    valve ball-bearing. I bought a new spring & ball & its fine now. I
    think I could have just cleaned up what I had - the new spring seems
    a shade stronger. I had to noodle with it to set the pressure, but
    its pretty easy. Thanks to TerriAnn - 100% correct diagnosis.

2)  Chattering noises - the heater stopped working as the inlet pipe was stone
    cold. I bought a new thermostat & now I'm all toasty! John also guessed
    I had the wrong temperature range unit. Another 100% correct diagosis.
    This may well apply to other US re-imported cars. Hello Paul Gilder?

I drove to Canterbury; a good 100 miles away to stay with friends & the
top radiator hose gave up. So much for my care and attention. I bought
(the is the 3rd "I bought" phrase I notice!) an approximation and so
fixed it after a predictable struggle.

It rained all Sunday. I was about to depart & I disconnect the LT live
feed to the coil when I park it as a "security" measure. I'm good at
this & can reconnect it in the dark. Or so I thought. On reconnecting it
I attatched it to the wrong side of the coil, thus shorting out the
ignition. A dead short. Great. It fried (it transpired) the LT lead in
the distributer. I fudged together an alligator (*) clip & wire and with
a bit of effort restarted the car (it was still raining so things were
getting wet).

So, I feel rather crestfallen. The only good thing to come of this is my
live test of a spare sparkplug and lead which I carry around for such an
eventuality.  I plugged it in the coil and by noodling with the ignition could
eventually get a spark from it.

==> I recommend this debug tool; it saves fiddling about with the existing
    leads & plugs.

Regards, Adrian
        asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk

(*) : in the UK its "crocodile clip" ...