RE: GT6 Head Work

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British Cars)
Subject: RE: GT6 Head Work
From: Jim Brannan <jbrannan@hprpcd.rose.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 93 8:20:00 PST
Larry Snyder wrote in with questions on his GT6 (with no compression in
cyl #6)....

Larry,

I have recently completed a full engine rebuild of my TR4A.  Here's some
comments based on that experience...

 - first, either chck the rocker assembly your self for wear or go ahead
and take it to the machine shop and have them assess the wear.  A
rebuilt rocker assy for a 4 ran aboout $145.  For a 6 - don't know.

 - Bronze guide ran about $4 per valve, I think

 - hardened seats ran about $15 ea

 - Take them everything, but remember what studs are on there and make
sure you have a list of what was on it when you take it in.  The machine
shop I used has a small town atmosphere and were great to deal with,
except for one complaint: they don't write down a detailed receipt for
what you drop off.  Not a trust issue, but when I went back to get the
stuff, I forgot (and so did they) to pick up the tappets.  Then later
when assemblying, I realized they had the push rods!  This is the shop I
used for the lower end.  I started with them with the head, but the head
was cracked so I retrieved it to work with a TR shop in the SFBay that
had old heads.

 - Many shops offer the choice of new or used valves.  Well, in my
opinion, go new if you're doing it al anyway.  It's not a big price deal.

 - I've heard of the air repssure in the spark plug hole trick before.
It works and you don't need much pressure.

 - Lastly, look real hard at the rest of the engine internas after you
get the head off.  If there's a lot of gunk in the water jackes it may
be signs of it making sense to do more.  I thought a valve job was all I
might need, but decided to do the lower end after finding massive
quantities of crud where coolant was supposed to be.  Its a good thing I
did, as the rings were shot and voids were growing on the sides of two
pistons.

Good luck,

Jim Brannan                                             (1966 Red TR4A)
Rocklin, CA
wk: 916-785-4776,  hm: 916-624-9318,  email jbrannan@hprpcd.rose.hp.com