Spit Hard top installation problem

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Spit Hard top installation problem
From: drabik@solaris.gatech.edu (Timothy J. Drabik)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 93 09:24:57 EST
Dear fellow SOLs,

I just took the factory hard top for my Spitfire 1500 out of many
years' storage, and am puzzling over the details of the fasteners
used to fasten down the front of the top at the top of the windshield.
There are two flanged bushings supplied that, I am guessing, bear with
the flanged end against the underside of the hard top (next to the sealing
strip), pass through the aluminum cap strip and trim at the top of the
windscreen, and bear with their unflanged end against the topside of the
interior, trim, on the underside of which a bolt is fastened.  The
problem with this appears to be, that this trim piece sandwiched between
bolt and bushing does not appear capable of bearing much load.

Could some kind soul in a position to do so please examine the details of
this mounting?  I would be forever grateful (and warmer and drier).

                Regards,
                Tim