GT6+ Back On The Road

To: b-c@tin.monsanto.com
Subject: GT6+ Back On The Road
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 93 14:45:32 -0600
I just returned from a triumphant test drive (oops, a little joke) and
everything I've done to it in the last week WORKS!

About two weeks ago I bought a heater core and a speedo from a friend who was
parting out a GT6. I got the heater core in last weekend, but I decided to
refinish the dash (ugh). I got the dash refinished, and it looks better than
it did, but someday I'm going to rip it out and do it right.

When I took out the old speedo, I discovered that the cable was bad, too. So
I put in an order to VB (I get stuff from them the next day, since I'm in the
same state). And on that order I also added a dash coverlay, and a radio
opening plate, and few other odds and ends. I took a day off work last
Wednesday and finished up the dash, got it mostly back together, and got
the heater core plumbed enough to test it - it worked!

So today I removed the transmission cover, replaced the speedo cable, then
began buttoning everything back up. That took most the day. I got everything
back together on the dash, then began putting crash pads and support back
on. Also the passenger side parcel tray. I sure don't remember having this
much trouble the first time I did this, but then, it was summer then and it's
40 degrees out today.

Finally, everything was back together. The car looks NICE inside (except the
carpet is filthy - time to clean it!). The dash coverly looks really good. It's
pretty expensive at $45, but it looks liks the original article. I even bought
a new ashtray for it (I don't smoke, but it's gotta look like it did when
new...) and the dash looks better without chips of stuff falling off.

Anyway, got it started and zipped off for a test drive. From what I can tell,
the speedo is right on the money. And my windows fogged up, so I got to test
the effectiveness of my heater. Put it on "Screen" pulled to boost, and bingo,
the windscreen cleared right up!

So now, the car will be a bit more fun to drive this winter. You know, someday
this is gonna be a real nice car!

Larry