Spit 1500/idle

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Spit 1500/idle
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 93 09:29 EST
Anthony Bailey writes :

> Hello all, I'm having a warm idle problem with my '77 Spitfire 1500. When
> cold it idles okay with the choke on, but when it's warm and I stop at a
> stoplight it nearly dies. It idles rough enough that it shakes the car, then

You have a piece of dirt stuck in the idle jet. When the car is idling,
you are using the idle circuit on the Weber. Anything above ~1200 rpm, the
idle circuit  no longer is functioning and now the progressive circuit is
being used.

Solution : remove both idle circuit jets (they are held in place by a brass (?)
screw/holder in the side of the carb body) - remember there are 2 jets - one for
the primary throat and the other for the secondary throat.

Physically remove the jet from the screw/holder and try to look through it.
The hole at the end of the jet usually gets blocked by a tiny piece of grit,
and will give you the problems that you have described. Get some carb cleaner
(in an aerosol can) and try to blow the grit out of the jet (DO NOT INSERT
ANY PINS/NEEDLES INTO THE HOLE TO DISLODGE THE DIRT), use compressed air to
further clean and dry the jet.

Re-install and try away into the sunset !.

To cure this problem for ever - instal a GOOD inline fuel filter (like Facet),
remove the top cover of the Weber and clean out the float bowl - you will
probably find some dirt in there.

I have had this symptom on the 3 cars I had with downdraft Webers, and it was
always dirt in the idle jet.

BTW - as somelse pointed out - do nor rule out any vacuum leaks.

Gerry