cheap plasma cutters

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: cheap plasma cutters
From: John Wroclawski <jtw@lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1993 19:36:50 -0500
The Dec. issue of British Car mag has a little article on interesting
tools. This article mentions that Daytona MIG is selling a small
Plasma Cutter for $375.

Plasma cutters, for those of you who haven't seen them, are among the
coolest things in the world. Imagine a butter knife that cuts steel.
Basically you have a small torch that emits a wire-thin (1/16" or so)
jet of plasma, which will cut through more or less anything conductive
in its way up to say 3/16" thick. The cutter leaves behind a clean,
straight edge, and, if the panel is painted, burns the paint off maybe
1/8 inch back from the cut...

Anyway, this caught my eye because small p-c's have typically cost
around $1000. The magazine article said "special sale, while supplies
last". I called 'em. They've been mobbed, the original supply is long
gone, but they've got a new supply coming in january, etc., price $395.
I bought one. If you are into significant restoration/bodywork, you
might want to, too. Requires 110volts/30A and a small air compressor.

Daytona MIG: 800-331-9353

                        -john
John Wroclawski
jtw@lcs.mit.edu