Re: chattering noise in TR4

To: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: chattering noise in TR4
From: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 93 09:16:17 -0800
In message <9311301532.AA23334@tin.monsanto.com> Larry E. Snyder
lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626 writes:

> I've been driving the TR250 lately, since the GT6 is down with the dash
> out, and I tried opening the scuttle vent, since it was really cold yesterday
> morning, and I wasn't getting much heat. *VOILA* Heat!
>
> I thought the scuttle vent was just allowing cool air in for the vents on
> the dash. Apparently it supplies air to the whole heating system. I get LOTS
> of heat now, with the vent open. I'll bet that's the trouble with the TR4.
>
> Larry

???????????????????????
I assumed that the TR4-250 scuttle vents would be like the TR3 vent and similar
to the MGB scuttle vent.

The TR3 scuttle vent is an opening in the scuttle with a drain tray under it,
and a hose to drain water collected in the drain tray.  The vent is at the top
facing forward and the lower opening faces the bulkhead.  The air flow is 'U'
shaped.  The air does exit above the cylinder shaped radiator core, but I think
it comes in in the heater hot air exit direction.

The MGB has a scuttle vent that goes down into a box just inside the bulkhead.
There is a drain tube at the bottom of the box and the vent opening is inside
the car on the side of the box, unlike the TR3 with its vent on the outside
playing air scoop.

The Land Rover has two long scuttle vents that reach the width of the car. Like
the TR3 the Land Rover vents are on the outside.  These are vertical straight
through holes with optional bug screens.

If someone is willing to donate me a functional TR250 or TR5, I will be happy to
examine both the scuttle vent and the heating system an report the results to
the mailgroup :*)  Actually I'll settle for a completely original post TS60000
TR3A sitting at my house for a bit.  I promise to take care of it and only look
at it and measure distances between things

TeriAnn

PS haven't read any replys to my request about the wisdom of putting 15" 5-1/2 "
wide wheels on my BGT and going to 60 series tyres, verses staying with 14"
5-1/2" wide minilitish wheels.  I have wheel envy from looking at Scott Fisher
#1's hanger queen.

PPS anyone know when the Roadster Factory winter sale is due to start?  I'm just
about to dump a bunch of $$$ on Moss, making a number of orders that each
qualify for a freebe.  I would like to compare promotions.  Since Moss only
offer one freebe per order, I thought it only right to break orders up for
multiple freebes. Call Tuesday, order a wheel and a freebe.  Call Wednsday order
a wheel and a freebe....

TeriAnn Wakeman             One of these days, I'll be old enough that
twakeman@apple.com          people will stop calling me crazy and start
LINK: TWAKEMAN              calling me eccentric.
408-974-2344        TR3A - TS75519L, MGBGT - GHD4U149572G, 109 - 164000561