Mig welding info

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (britcars)
Subject: Mig welding info
From: Paul Amaranth <amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1993 13:33:19 -0500 (EST)
I found my AGA guide to welding equipment.  There are a couple of
useful tables and rules of thumb that I'd thought I'd send out.

Use 1 amp for every thousandth of an inch plate thickness up to 200 amps.

Wire diameter for different gauges of steel:
  <1/16        .023-.030
  1/16 - 3/16  .030-.035
   >1/8        .035-.045

Starting current for different wires sizes:
  .023  60A
  .030  90A
  .035 110A
  .045 150A

If you know the current, you can roughly work out the wire feed speed:
  .030  Amps X 2.5
  .035  Amps X 1.5
  1/16  Amps X 1

They don't give an additional entry for .023, but I'd imagine it would
be in the 3-4 X Amps range.

These are all starting points and have to be adjusted to the work at hand.
In particular, current is not a linear function of wire speed (it's
exponential), but it's a useful apporoximation below 150 Amps.
--
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (313) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
(internet)     amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu  | Amaranth's Law of Economics: