Brit-Speak/TR4 lead free?

To: British Cars <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brit-Speak/TR4 lead free?
From: Philip Searle <searle@indigo.ucdavis.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1993 17:27:30 -0800 (PST)

As a Brit (who was born 3 years before his '63 TR4 hit the road) I have to
disagree with this. All our Triumphs had wings (or the rusty remains of
such) and I'd never heard of a fender until I moved to California.

Anyway, an estate car is definately the term for a station wagon. Do any
SOLs have a Triumph 2000/2500 estate out there? Always liked these,
especially the 2.5PI MkII version.

Sorry if the next question is an old subject but:
Do any TR owners out there experience problems on using lead free petrol
(gas!). When I moved to CA a year or so ago, lead free fuel hadn't been
around in the UK many years and there was still a lot of debate about its
suitability for TRs. TR5/6 owners were particularly concerned since lead
is supposed to proved lubrication for the PI pump and metering unit.
Anyhow since everyone here has been using the stuff for years, am I just
worrying too much? The TR4 hasn't had hardened valve seats fitted to the
best of my knowledge so I always throw a bottle of "lead substitute" in
each tank.

Philip Searle
'63 TR4
'76 Spit 1500 (UK!)