Manifold Paint

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Manifold Paint
From: GNH.Wbst207V@xerox.com
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1993 06:37:57 PST
Scotty sez:
 > 1200 degree exhaust manifold coatings:
 > P/N: 1256    Stainless Steel Grey High Temp. Coating, 1pt. - $13.95

<DO NOT buy the Stainless Steel paint.  It will work for about 6
months, then will start to flake away.  I have talked to several
people at car shows about this stuff and have yet to find anyone who
is happy with it.  I had my manifold sandblasted, then painted it with
two coats of the stainless paint and it looked GREAT.  Six months
later, it didn't look so great.  I wouldn't use it again, but YMMV.
I don't have any experience with the other products.>

Sorry to weigh in on the other side, but I have had VERY POSITIVE SUCCESS with
the Eastwood Stainless exhaust manifold paint!!  The TC manifold, done in 1987,
the MGA manifold, done in 1989 and several others since then have NEVER
peeled or discolored.
The only fault I can find with Scotty's story is the two coats of paint.  Only
one
coat is called for.  The only bad experiences I have ever seen with this
product is
when the manifold was not thoroughly sandblasted or the paint not applied
immediately after or the paint not stirred thoroughly.
The instructions are clear.  Follow them carefully and you, too, will have a
handsome
manifold for many years!
George Haynes