Re: Zinc Plating

To: rodb@ee.ubc.ca
Subject: Re: Zinc Plating
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 93 11:14:59 PST
> which looks way over-priced.  Does anybody have info on zinc plating or seen
> any articles on it recently?  I want to do small pieces as the urge

I think there was a discussion about this in the rec.crafts.metalworking
newsgroup a while back.  You might want to post this question there.

If I understand correctly, these are parts that were zinc plated to
begin with?  If not, make sure the plating process you use won't
cause hydrogen embrittlement.  This can happen to some steel
alloys.  Spring steel is an example.  Highly stressed suspension
pieces (like anti-sway bars) are another.  I'm not sure zinc plating
will cause this, but it's worth checking on.  I know chrome plating
will.

Roland