RE: re: Max RPM

To: DSTONE@SC9.intel.com
Subject: RE: re: Max RPM
From: megatest!bldg2fs1!sfisher@uu2.psi.com (Scott Fisher)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 93 14:26:02 PST
> Ernest Davis asks:
>
> Question for TITK WRT A-Series Spridgets:
>              ^^^^^^^^
>           What is this ?

Those In The Know, of course.  I think this started with Phil Ethier's
OFATP (Our Friends Across The Pond); I adapted that to OFNITK (Our
Friends Not In The Know).  The rest is, well, you know.

>      What RPM limits do you use?
>

>      >>Redcar has a 1275 with stock internals,
>      lightened/balanced flywheel assy, LCB header, 40 DCOE &
>      full mechanical advance distributor, and in the last La
>      Carrera we ran I held ~ 6000 rpm for approximately
>      40km with no problems whatsoever. YEE-HA !

I've seen 7000 RPM on the motor in The Green Car, several times
with no valve float.  Of course, that's the broken motor we took
out last summer.  The motor that's in it floats the valves between
6350 and 6500 RPM, so that's as high as I've taken it.  (And that's
with the "race head" from An Unnamed Parts Supplier In The 916
Area Code; the 7K head used new valve springs and height-matched
valves from Kaeding Performance in Campbell, plus porting by
Yr Obdt Svt.)

>      Sooo Scott, you coming with us next year ..... ;-)

One way or another!  I'll either build up the Volvo 122S From
Jotunheim -- er, Hell, or I'll take "the sensible alternative"
and put a roll bar and fire bottle in The Green Car, paint it
with spray cans from Orchard Supply Hardware, and run *it*.  My
only concern is just *when* La Carrera falls, as I might be
doing some promotional stuff for the book in either May or
June.  Oh well, that's going to buy me my Land Rover, right?

--Scott "In Swedish, Safety Fast is Saekerhet Snabb" Fisher