1973 Midget parts car for sale

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: 1973 Midget parts car for sale
From: Bob Greschke <bgreschk@aoc.nrao.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1993 15:27:59 -0600
Someone on the Porschephiles list had this address in one of their posts. I
hope this has made it to the right list.

1973 MG Midget - parts car - for sale.

The car had it's right rear side smashed to death (from straight behind by a
big white Ford truck going about 30-40mph -- never did find the guy) in May of
1987 and has been sitting (outside) ever since.

The bad news:
 - The engine is frozen. I took it all apart to try and get it unstuck a few
   years back. No luck. So most of the engine is in boxes
 - The right rear fender/bumper area is toast
 - The top is still covering but will probably turn to
   dust the minute it's touched
 - Interior is probably not too happy
 - The frame/body was bent in the accident. When I sat down in the driver's
   seat there was new "feature" (bump) under my butt
 - One of the front fenders was not quite the right one (I bought it that way)
 - The passenger side vent window hinge is broken (someone tried to "break"
   in (when the car was still on the road). They also cut the top -- I don't
   even think the car was locked!)
 - 1st gear was noisy. A mechanic told me it was bearings, not gears.

The good news:
 - Still have all of the parts. The car ran great before the accident. I was
   going to start restoring it just about the time...
 - All of the dials and gauges were in good working order
 - The rear trunk lid is not in too bad of shape and should be recoverable
 - I have a brand new (factory reconditioned) transmission
 - Have a new top
 - Have a replacement vent window and frame for the passenger side door
 - Have several engine gaskets and door seals and other new parts (like I said,
   I was getting ready to start restoring)
 - Windscreen is OK (I put in a new one)
 - Have all 5 wheels
 - Doors should be OK
 - Dash is not in too bad of shape
 - I bought and put on a lot of those little body detail-type items before
   the accident (like the "British Leyland" emblem behind the front wheel
   wells, the big "MG" plague on the trunk, etc.). So all of that kind of
   stuff is there, but it's faded.
 - Got a shop manual (it doesn't have a "rear-end collision" chapter though 8-)

I'd like to sell the whole ball of wax to a good home. I paid $600 for just the
transmission back in '86, so I'd guess about $1200 for the whole thing might do
(I gotta support my Porsche habbit, don't ya know!). Sigh. I'll get another one
and start over someday.

Now don't take advantage of me or nothin'. If it's really worth $5000 I expect
someone to at least tell me it's worth $1300! 8-)

Bob Greschke
bgreschk@nrao.edu