Re: Transmission oil

To: Philip J Ethier <phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov>
Subject: Re: Transmission oil
From: "W. Ray Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1993 14:22:20 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 29 Sep 1993, Philip J Ethier wrote:

> OK, we have been around this block before.  I was told this by Jack
> Nesset, the  mechanic that went through my Spridget gearbox when it stuck

ellipses...

> Midget synchros have a coating on them which the detergents in motor oil
> consider dirt, and dutifully work at removing.  He told me that was

Since I don't understand transmissions, far less synchros, I cannot argue
with much effect.  But don't synchros operate by friction?  It is hard to
imagine a coating that would survive 100,000 miles of wear, but yet could be
removed by the detergent in oil.  But hey, british engineering...

more omitted stuff...with syllogisms and reductios ad absurdum and
unassailable conclusions and 8x10 glossies with circles and arrows
and diagrams on the back..

> Since I can't think of one good reason to use detergent oil, and there
may
> be a BIG reason not to...

Oh, well, hell, SURE, if you want to be LOGICAL and get on with the job
instead of having fun ARGUING about it, you can look at it that way.

> phile@stpaul.gov

Ray Gibbons

P.S.  What's a good source of non-detergent motor oil?