Catch-22 (Lotus for sale)

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, lotus-cars@netcom.com
Subject: Catch-22 (Lotus for sale)
From: Cory Carpenter <coryc@sequent.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 93 13:21:15 -0700
Here's the catch-22:  I don't have enough room to maintain all my cars,
so I wanna buy a house.  I don't have enough money for the down payment,
so I need to sell a car.  (Actually, I hadn't planned to make this move
so soon, but my Nazi apartment managers have raised my already
exorbinent rent by another 5%, and they keep complaining about my
working on cars, the cars being to noisy, etc. -- in short, I'm fed up!)

Which car can I sell -- the Rabbit isn't worth anything, the Plymouth is
but they'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead fingers, so that only
leaves one option.

I'm giving the SOL and Lotus-cars people first crack at it:  Tomorrow it
goes out on pdx.forsale, or.forsale, and pnw.forsale.

        FOR SALE:

        1969 Lotus Europa S2 (Type 54, serial# 1797)
           Color: Red
           Mileage: 144123
           Engine: Stock 1565-cc 4-cylinder Renault engine (numbers match)
           Trans: Stock 4-speed Renault transaxle (numbers don't match)
           Weber 32DIR8 carb (aftermarket)
           New rear bearings & U-joints
           Good condition Semperito Hi-Speed front tires
           New condition Pirelli P-77 rear tires
           (1 spare Semperito, but no wheel for it)
           Stock steel wheels with Lotus hubcaps
           Full instrumentation (Smith's and Lucas)
           Power windows

        Features:
           Adjustable lower links
           Optional dual airhorns
           Tandem master cylinder with "SOVY-device" extended reservoir
           AM/FM stereo cassette deck (aftermarket of course)
           P.O.-added radiator ducting (easily removable)
           P.O.-added aftermarket exhaust system

        Recent work:
           Brake master cylinder just rebuilt
           Cosmetic touchup on 2-year-old paint job
           New carpeting and freshened interior

        Still needs:
           New headliner
           Minor work on one rear hub
           Horn push assembly missing (but the horns are usable)
           New windscreen (The current one is perfectly serviceable, but
            cracked -- I'm on the trail of a new one, but if it's
            installed before the car is sold, the price goes up.)

If you're not familiar with Lotae or with this model, the Europa is an exotic
mid-engined, fiberglass-bodied two-seater that weighs in at 1465 lbs -- think
of what a Pontiac Fiero might be like if it looked cool.  `^)

Unlike some S2 Europas you'll see, this one hasn't suffered any hacks to
the body, such as fender flares, air dam, or relocated parking lights.
It's low, quick, looks sharp, sounds neat, and always turns heads.
(I won't even bother to mention the legendary Lotus handling.)

I'm offering it for sale at the appraised value of $6000.  Some miscellaneous
spares come with it (alternator, brake parts, spare dashboard, etc.), as
well as the shop manual, a manual covering the Renault engine (for some
odd reason, engine parts are cheaper if you ask for Renault R16 parts
instead of Lotus parts -- wonder why...), some Lotus parts catalogs, and
I'll even pay for your first year's membership in Club Lotus NW, if you're
so inclined.

Inquiries to:

        Cory Carpenter
        (503) 578-5879 (wk)