Midget Tapping Badly

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Midget Tapping Badly
From: Jules@learnlink.emory.edu (Sean P. Murphy)
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1993 10:13:57 EST
Greetings All,
     I am beginning to get back into working on LBC's and am having some
problems.  First, I have a 75 MGB and a 78 Jag XJ6L myself, along with two
defunct RX7's.  The car I'm working on is a friend's '77 MG Midget.  The
car was purchased in virtually immaculate condition about three weeks ago,
but last week we began having problems.  While driving along at low speeds
(circa 45mph), the car began to jerk in motion and a violent tapping
erupted from under the hood.  We pulled the car over and cut the engine and
looked over everything superficially, then tried starting it up.  It runs,
but tends to idle way too low and want to cut out.  The tapping seems to be
coming from the valves or rockers and sounds simply awful.  We wound up
pulling the cylinder head over the last weekend and checking everything
over.  The only thing out of the ordinary was an unusually high amount of
carbon build up on the number three cylinder.  We replaced all seals and
plugs and plug wires.   The car still has the same evil tap.  I haven't
noted any signs of a dead valve, but then again, I don't know quite what to
look for.  Can anyone offer any clues?  This is, BTW, the 1500cc engine as
used in the Spitfire 1500.
     AdThanksvance

/========/      Sean Murphy, LearnLink Administrator
 !! !! !!               Internet/Telnet: Jules@learnlink.emory.edu
 !! !! !!               FidoNet:                  1:133/420, Sean Murphy
/========/      For information, mail Jules@learnlink.emory.edu