TR7 tranny - ZOOM!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (Britcar)
Subject: TR7 tranny - ZOOM!
From: Vaughan K. Scott <scottv@rpi.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1993 10:09:04 -0500 (EDT)
        Well, I finally got my other gearbox down from Saratoga (yesterday),
and it works!  I put it in, and after some fitting of the clutch slave
cylinder (see below), I put it on the ground and drove it!  The new/old
engine has good power over 2000 rpm, but still needs tuning to add some bottom
end, and improve performance when cold.
        So, I now need to do the following to be able to race it Saturday:
                Bleed the brakes (replaced the rear as well as the tranny)
                tune the engine
                mount a damper in the rear left corner of the car (consequence
        of replacing the rear end)

        I also need to improve the mounting of the clutch slave cylinder.
The original holes in the bellhousing of this transmission are stripped, so
I had to replace them with larger bolts.  The ones I had aren't long enough,
so I need to get longer ones, and tap the top hole as well (only the bottom
bolt is in).
        I also need to change to gear oil over to synthetic (Mobil 1 sound
good?  Meets the required specs in the Bentley manual), and fix some oil
leaks.  Minor problems...
        So I should (hopefully) be racing this weekend.

Other Topics:

        Nouns of association:  a Wedge of TR7?
                               a Flight of Darts (sorry for the non-LBC)

        Thermodynamics:  Isn't it time we create another mailing list for
the discussion of thermodynamics as it relates to british cars, thermostats,
and flow rates? ;)

'sall for now...

Vaughan Scott           Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
scottv@rpi.edu          Troy, NY