56 Jaguar saloon

To: "British Cars" <british-cars@autox.team.net>,
Subject: 56 Jaguar saloon
From: "Rob Reilly" <reilly@admail.fnal.gov>
Date: 22 Sep 1993 15:16:04 U
                       Subject:                               Time:1:29 PM
  OFFICE MEMO          56 Jaguar saloon                       Date:9/22/93
From: Gary L. Berry <glb@s1.gov>
Subject: 56 Jag 3.4 Saloon...
 >1956 Jag 3.4 Saloon
Possible ID conflict here, is it a Mark 7 or a Mark 1? Mark 1's got the 3.4 in
'57, a '56 would be a 2.4 with 2 Solex carbs. Maybe you don't know the
difference, Mark 7's are big and fat, like a Rolls or Bentley, Mark 1's are
smaller, a lot like the current Infinity J30.
 >restored a little over ten years ago
 >sitting in a horse stall for the last nine
Were the horses in there, too?  8^}
 >wrong brake fluid in the system.
You'll have to replace all the rubber seals in the master and brake cylinders
and the rubber hoses to the front hubs and rear axle, all readily available
from Moss and other Jag parts suppliers. How about clutch hydraulics? Same
story?
 >It was started a year ago, but has been idle since then
Don't take their word for it unless you know them, the gas is probably bad,
battery dead.
 >The interior needs to be redone, new tires, etc,
Figure to spend upwards of $5000 for a complete interior restoration
 >body and running gear is suppose to be sound
 >The original 3.4 was replaced with an XK140 engine (3.8?)
140's were all 3.4 liters
 >now has dual SU's dumping into a C-head.
Could be from a 140, get the engine number off the head (stamped on the
vertical face in front of the front spark plug) and we can ID the head. The
block number is stamped on the horizontal shelf above where the oil filter
casting bolts on, may or may not be the same # as the head. Compare these two
with the original number on the firewall ID plate. The block displacement is
cast in raised numbers on the side.
 >This info is coming from the mechanic that did the work on it all of  >those
years ago.
How good is his memory now and his knowledge of Jags at the time?
 >Has Disc wheels (not spoked).
Disc wheels (15") are a minus on value if it's a Mark 1; some had wire spoke
wheels. Are the fender skirts like a half-moon or more like a quarter-moon?.
BTW, all Mark 7's had 16" disc wheels and half-moon skirts.
 > Says everything worked (except brakes) when it was parked.
 >So, what is a fair price to pay for this?
How about $1500 for a clunker. $5000 for a very, very good one. Just my
opinion, of course.
 >Any pitfalls I should lookout for?
Rust in the gas tank, vermin chewing the wiring and making nests, bad rubber
bushings in the suspension, fuel pump diaphragm may have gotten stiff over
time.
 >apparently has no rust.
Rust in the unibody is the biggest pitfall, if it really is rustfree it's worth
grabbing.
 >Bodywork was finished and it was painted before it was put up
Look for cracked Bondo, check the thoroughness of the paint job, did they
remove trim or just mask off, did they do the door sills and under the hood and
in the trunk? Is there rust under the carpets? Good hunting and let us know
what you find.   Rob