TR7 Canister Oil Filter

To: GORIN_JOE/HP5300_A0@opnmail2.corp.hp.com
Subject: TR7 Canister Oil Filter
From: Vaughan K. Scott <scottv@rpi.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1993 08:31:23 -0400
        I'm pretty sure I've seen a screw-on oil filter adapter in the TRF
catalog, two actually, one for use with and one for use without an oil cooler.
Re the canisters, I still use one, and have had the problem with it leaking.
Definetly replace the innards you are missing.  I found that when I threw all
caution to the wind, and tightened the sucker till it stopped turning, that
it then stopped leaking (note: this _is_ with a new o-ring).  So forget the
torque specs, and just crank it till it stops.  I guesstimate a torque of
about 30 ft-lb (I use a combination wrench for this).  Invariably the
leaking problem goes away (for me).  It's just that extra torque to seal the
o-ring.  Also, don't forget to lightly lube the o-ring with oil before
installation.
        If you don't get anything from Dana Henry at TRF, e-mail her for the
part no. (sorry I don't have her address).  Good Luck!

Vaughan Scott           Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
scottv@rpi.edu          Troy, NY

        Coffee is just the thing when you get up at 7:15 for your 8:00 AM lab
to find it's not meeting 'till 9:00 now... :(