TR6 camshaft endfloat

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: TR6 camshaft endfloat
From: James TenCate <jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1993 18:42:22 -0500
Has anyone out there had to deal with excessive end float on a
TR6 camshaft?  I bought a header and reground camshaft from
British Parts NW.  (The header is Monza and it looks like
it'll require a LOT of work to get it to fit -- I was not
pleased.  Anyway, I digress.)  My reground camshaft is installed
but I now get .015 endfloat when the specs say it should be
.004 to .008.  I bought a new keeper plate and there is no other
adjustment that I can see.  My first thought was to space it with
a stainless washer but can I find a washer .008 thick?  I've
also thought that I could have the machine shop grind down 2 of
the plates almost half-width and combine them as shims to get
the proper end float.  Expensive!  This is a '73 with original
mileage around 30k and the world's "slackest" timing chain.
My new chain is going to be just the same unless I fix the
end float.  Do camshaft regrinders check the keeper slot in
the camshaft against any specs??  (An oversize or worn slot
would also cause my problem.)  Any suggestions out there?

Bob Kramer
BRVF44A (Prodigy)
via Jim TenCate (Internet)