broken wheel studs

To: uunet!autox.team.net!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: broken wheel studs
From: dec254!reed@uunet.UU.NET (John Reed)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1993 09:05:35 -0400
What is the recommended procedure for replacing a broken rear wheel stud
on a TR3.  I tried using a heavy C clamp with an open wrench to provide
a space to press the back of the stud into, but I had no luck.  I used a
bit of heat on area of the hub surrounding the stud, but not knowing
what damage I might do to bearings or seals inside I was concerned
about getting it really hot.

Is there a better method to get the stud out without removing the hub?
If I need to remove the hub or hub and axle in order to use a hydraulic
press what is the best way to take it apart?

thanks for any advice,

John

ps. the rear end has 10" girling brakes - diff # TS47123