TR7 5-spd transmission

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (Britcar)
Subject: TR7 5-spd transmission
From: Vaughan K. Scott <scottv@rpi.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1993 13:47:11 -0500 (EDT)
        Well, after 7 straight hours last night in the garage, I got the
rear end and driveshaft on my TR7 changed, completing my conversion to
the five speed gearbox (the car's a '76, before they offered the 5-spd).
I chose to do the conversion (while I had the engine out), because of the
high engine speed (3500 rpm) at cruising (65 mph).  After I put the engine
in with the trany bolted to it, I found that I would not only have to
change the driveshaft (because of the longer transmission), but I had to
change the rear end, because of different bolt patterns.  I didn't mind
that, because that rear only has 20-30k on it (came with the transmission
and driveshaft as a set).
        Now to my problem:  I'm not getting any power to the rear wheels.
I know the engine is putting out at least a minimal amount of power, because
before I had the driveshaft hooked up, the output shaft would spin when in
gear with the engine on (of course, it also spun in neutral, presumably
because of the fluid transferring torque, just like a torque converter).
I know the diff's not seized, as I have turned it with my hands.  It's just
when I let the clutch out, with the car on the ground, it doesn't even
attempt to go anywhere.  I'm going to try it on the lift, and see what
happens then.  However, it seems like it just isn't getting out of neutral.
I know the clutch is working, because I can hear the trany innards turning
when the clutch is engaged (I know, it's kinda low on trans. oil).  Could
this be some sort of linkage adjustment problem?  Any prompt help is much
appreciated (as is all help, of course), as I would like to race this saturday.
Thanks...

Vaughan Scott           Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
scottv@rpi.edu          Troy, NY

'76 TR7