Over-heating ?'s, min. LBC's

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Over-heating ?'s, min. LBC's
From: ahart@geis.geis.com
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 93 15:37:00 BST
! Caution !  Marginal LBC content!!!

Greetings, SOL'ers!

Ok, I was sitting here ruminating about the fact that the LIC I am currently
driving is overheating.  I have gone through the usual drill of having the
radiator cleaned, replacing the thermostat, trying to ensure that there are no
air bubbles in the system, etc. Whilst engaged in all this hoohaa, the thought
occured to me that it might be very interesting if radiator hoses could be made
of a clear material.  Imagine the benefits of being able to see the condition
of your coolant.  Of actually being able to visually confirm that coolant is
flowing at all!  Not to mention the added entertainment value of being able to
stare at moving fluids while staying dry ;^).  I suppose even a sight glass of
some type would be a help.  So, does anyone out in List-Land know of a material
that might be safely used in this experiment?  Some type of hose material, or
something clear to put between two normal hoses (kind of like those
"fix-a-hose" things)?  Enquiring minds want to know!

Obligatory Brit-car content -  While leaving work the other day, I had the
pleasure to drive along behind and beside a late 60's XKE Drophead.  Gawd,
those are sexy cars.  This specimen was BRG, tan leather interior, and the
driver even had the top lowered!  This was a refreshing sight after seeing all
the locals drive around with their tops up all the time.  The throaty exhaust
note from the V-12 nearly brought tears to my eyes.  I caught him at a light
and he said he uses it as a daily driver in the summer months.  Then off he
roared!  What a lovely change of automotive scenery from the usual collection
of BAC's.

Oh well, enough prattle.  If anyone has any ideas (on either the over-heating
Fiat or the clear hose idea) please feel free to drop me a line!

Thanks again!

Arlie Hart
1980 TR-7 drophead
1982 Fiat Spider