A Triumph-ant anecdote and an MGB question

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: A Triumph-ant anecdote and an MGB question
From: passaret@sol.med.ge.com ("Mr. Mike" Passaretti x7-4485)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 93 15:11:04 CDT
Drove Sonja home in the rain last night with the top down.
I don't have Scott's way with words (especially without hours
of re-writes) so I'll keep it simple.

Now more than ever, I know why I love this car.   <achoo>

I do have to put the heater switch back in before I try it
again, though.  She's now gone the entire summer with no
failures but the overdrive (which was DOA apparently.  Grrrr).
Going down to Chicago for the meet this weekend.  Should be
fun.

On to the question:

My cousin is graduating from law school in a year or so, and
she _really_ wants an MGB.  I'd love to find a late chrome
bumber model for her and totally rebuild it, but I'm lacking
on space and time to dedicate to such a task.  It would have
to be a _very_ solid car, she'll take care of it, but she's
not a wrencher.  Oil changes, lubes, that stuff she'll do but
no sworking.

Given this, am I seriously deluding myself that it's possible
to find a car that need only a little polish and wrenching to
make it right.  Is it possible to make an MG that reliable?
(Obligitory TR owner's snipe, I already know the answer is
"yes, but...").  How much money am I looking at?  Hemmings'
answer seems to be ~$6K.  What do y'all think?

                                                        - MM
--
"As years pass by your bed is full                        Of homosexual panic
 And the girls who aren't beddable                     Are masculine or manic