TR7 Headlamp Motor Failure

To: british-cars@autox.team.net ( )
Subject: TR7 Headlamp Motor Failure
From: Jody Levine <jody.p.levine@hydro.on.ca>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1993 09:37:49 -0400
My mother warned me about this. Or at least you guys did. TR7 headlamp
motors fail. The worst thing was that it failed during a demontration
of the headlamp retractors ("Watch this, it's way cool") to the people
who gave us the idea of buying one of these in the first place. They
told ud about a TR7 in February, we bought one in April, but didn't
tell them, and they came to visit this week and found it in the driveway!

Anyhoo, the right headlamp got only halfway down before it quit. I left
it like that for about half an hour while we started to make lunch, but
then I went out to see if it was anything obvious. Well it was, the connector
was hot from trying to lower the headlamp for the last half hour. The motor
must be fried. I disconnected it and wound the headlamp all the way up using
the knob on the end of the motor.

Enough sob story, here are some questions. We have a couple of spares.
Is there anything that one can do to prevent this from happening again?
I hear that the motors would be ok if they were not subject to constant
road spray. Has anybody tried spraying waterproofing goop on them or
something? Has anyone tried replacing the motors with more reliable units
or rewinding/rebuilding old ones? Can you replace the motor without removing
the entire headlamp assembly? Any other tricks I should know?

Greg Gall: Good to hear that your car is running. Doesn't Calgary have a
free internet service that you can dial up to?

Jody

jlevine@rd.hydro.on.ca - Toronto, Canada - 1980 winking TR7 convertible