assorted comments

To: uunet!autox.team.net!british-cars@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: assorted comments
From: cdenzler@sierra.com (Chris Denzler)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1993 07:38:54 -0700
} I'd laughed as I read the posting about pre-purchase inspection.  I mean,
} we're poor college students.  Our purchase check list goes something like
} this.  Is it under $1000?  Do we have another uncle/aunt who'll let us park
} it in their garage/barn?  Did it used to look like a Brit car?  Did the
} engine once run?  Is their more steel than rust?  Could it possibly live
} again?  Does it call to us?

A month or so before I bought my GT6+, I got a hold of the checklist from
the hoosier archive.  I tried to follow it when looking at the car, but (as
someone brilliantly observed a while ago) no matter how I looked at the car,
it appeared to me as if it had just rolled off the showroom floor.
   As I was leaving, I caught a glimpse of it out the rear-view mirror of my
truck.  Yuck!  Aha!  That's the ticket!  I ripped the rear-view out of the
truck and completed my inspection only viewing the car in reflection from
the mirror!    At last I could see the primer, bondo, rotted rubber trim,
trashed interior, and rodent droppings in the engine compartment.
   It was a rainy day in Seattle, and at this moment the mirror fogged and I
was forced to turn around and gaze directly at the car.  I realized that the
image I had seen in the mirror must have *really* been the illusion, and I
forked over the cash.

                                            - Chris