exhaust systems

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: exhaust systems
From: interf!atlas!jhoward@uunet.UU.NET (James Howard)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 93 10:26:29 EDT
There is a certain section of I-395 here in DC that has 'temporary'
steel plates covering holes.  When one is unfamiliar with the road, as
I was, one drives around a curves at Interstate speeds and suddenly
hits these plates.  Hitting them causes a great deal of suspension
travel.  On an MGB this causes the muffler to hit the steel
plates.  Hard enough to make one stop, get out and see if the exhaust
system is still there.

Trouble is, I forgot about these and did the exact same thing two
months later.

Yesterday, I noticed my exhaust system was a lot louder and there was
an annoying squeak coming from it.  There is a dime sized hole is the
center of the muffler, and the squeak was coming from a bracket that
had cracked and was now rubbing against itself.

What pisses me off is I just replaced the system 6 months ago.  The
combination of the shock and rust (there is a lot of rust) was too
much for my system.  I don't want to replace it with the same type of
system.  So, is there a system that uses a single muffler in the rear
instead of the two of the stock system?  Are stainless systems any
good?  I want a system that is no louder than stock, since this is my
only car and the noise wears on you on long trips.

James