RE: Jag 420 info needed...

To: "Daren Stone, D2 Mfg. Engr. C5/6, 5-9521" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Subject: RE: Jag 420 info needed...
From: "TJ Noto" <noto@twg.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 93 12:20:17 PDT
Larry asks. . .
%The guy says this car runs fine. It has the Borg-Warner automatic. Any
%comments on it ?

and Daren opines. .

%     >>My .02 worth; I think they were also called Mark 10s
%     for some reason, and I have a distinct vision of them
%     being used as police cars. Other than that, nada,
%     except my personal opinion that they look *fat* ;-)

%          cheers-
%                 dstone@sc9.intel.com

There were two different incarnations of the 420.  The "fat" one being referred
to as the 420G or the Mk10. . no question, one of the largest if not homliest
shapes to ever come out of Coventry.

The other model is one of my favorite to carry the Jaguar name. . it is
basically the crossover model in between the 3.8 MkII's (gorgeous) and the
later XJ-6 models. . most of them have automatics tranny's and obviouslly 420
indicates the 4.2l engine. . my father has one which has the 4 speed with o/d
and it is real nice to drive on the freeway.  .although handling is quite
ponderous.  They're fairly rare as Jags go. . and parts for the engine are
obviously available.

PS-Dad put new Dayton wires on the 120 a coupla months ago, so we took it out
to I5 for a high speed handling run. . funny. . 130MPH didn't feel like much
more than.  .say. . 110!

I am still trying to decide what to do with the MG.  .would really like to
restore it to original but I'd also do well to buy  a house while the getting
is good. . .sigh. . wish I could just play with motorcycles and cars and not
have to be so mature all the time!  :-(

cheers
teej
Triumph (as in, motorcycles)
MG (as in, "in My Garage")
BMW (as in, what to drive on trips to Napa/Sedona/Boonville on hot summer days)

"Nothing can exceed the vanity of our existence but the folly of our
pursuits"-Goldsmith