Re: British Cars Digest #886 Mon Jul 19 01:15:02 MDT 1993

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #886 Mon Jul 19 01:15:02 MDT 1993
From: "Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1993 10:59:52 PDT
In another life, I drove about 100 miles on a bearing such as you
described (on a Mazda RX-2). I knew that the car was misbehaving, but I
needed to get home and I could still steer it straight, so I did.

The old bearing was well and truly stuck to the stub axle. I got it off
with a grinding wheel in a drill - basically I ground a big slot in the
bearing from the outside down to the stub axle. This allowed it to
spring open enough (with the aid of a hammer) to slip it off.

Be careful not to grind into the stub axle (much) and also try to keep
the chips out of the other bearing surfaces.

You should be able to find a stub axle new or used....