Scott's Distributor

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Scott's Distributor
From: "Bryan Blackwell" <bryan@corsa.mitre.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1993 09:50:45 -0400
Warning:  Wild, unsubstatiated guesswork follows

Let's see here, we have two distributors -

25D4 - works real well, except the mounting ring is broken (I think I know what
this looks like), and will likely do so again if fixed.

45D4 - better mounting system (sounds a lot like the one I had in the MG,
similar to US brands, too), but the guts won't work very well.

Here's the options I can think of:

1) Rivit the points plate on the 45D4 (we don't care about vac advance, right?)
where it rubs.  Probably better (easier) than brazing, it avoids any warpage
problems.  I guess you can't just buy a new points plate, but maybe some other
plate will fit, might be worth checking into.

2) See if the guts from the 25D4 will go in the 45D4 case.  Don't know about
that one, but I think it's the nicest solution.

3) You might be able to have a ring welded on to the 25D4 case to convert it
into a step mount case.  Just have an 1/4" thick aluminum ring machined, grind
off what's left of the existing ring, and have the new piece welded on the case
a bit further down, so it's flush with the block.

Well, hope that's of some help.

Scott writes:

> Racing only improves the breed if you change the things that break...

Good point.  Besides, testing the *improvements* is such fun ;-)

- --Scott

------
Bryan Blackwell bryan@mitre.org (703) 883 7329

'65 Corvair, '66 E-type, '69 Road Runner
"Yeah, it's nice, but it needs a little more power"
------