Boo-hoo, the MG's not gonna do.

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, DODD@ETD2.EL.WPAFB.AF.MIL
Subject: Boo-hoo, the MG's not gonna do.
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 93 09:23:06 EDT
That's right, I've bailed on taking my MG to Myrtle Beach.  Wednesday
night I was driving it when I noticed the oil pressure was a bit lower
than usual, it was about 30 psi, instead of its normal 70 psi.  I
stopped immediatly to check into it.  It turned out I was about a 1
1/2 quarts low.  It struck me as odd that I would be that low on oil,
but I reasoned that maybe I hadn't checked it recently (though, I think
I had in the last two weeks) and maybe I had a leak because it didn't
seem that I was burning any.  So I added a couple quarts of Castrol
GTX and went on my way, the oil pressure was back to its normal 70psi
and everything seemed hunky-dory.  Yesterday I decided to put as many
miles (about 50) on it as I could just to make sure everything was okay.
Everything seemed fine, it was running great, so I breathed a big sigh
of relief.  I was relieved until I checked the oil again.  It was
already a little low (about 1/2 a qt.).

Again, I figured it had to be a leak, so cleaned up the bottom of the
engine and looked for leaks.  Nothing presented itself as more serious
than the typical lbc leaks.  Then I decided to check the spark plugs.
Plug one was perfect, as was plug two.  Plug three had a little carbon
fouling, but nothing major.  I pulled plug four.  Uh-oh.  Plug four
was soaked in oil and had chunks of gunky looking metal stuck to it.
Oh shit.  I checked the compression - 130 psi dry, 150 wet.  My guess
is I have a broken piston ring, my hope is that the bore isn't too
trashed.  Sigh.  The MG's not going to Myrtle.  Oh well, the engine
diagnoses will have to wait until I get back. (Does a broken piston
ring sound logical?)

Anyway, it looks like I'm going to have to yank the engine.  Now I'll
have to decide what I want to do with it, i.e. keep it stock for
autocross purposes, or build it up a bit for a more fun street
machine, or do something evil like track down a Rover V-8. :-}

Bob "At least it didn't happen it the middle of nowhere" Jones