TR6: Bonnet Seal/Tyres

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6: Bonnet Seal/Tyres
From: vanmatre@nprdc.navy.mil (Nick Van Matre)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1993 11:45:18 -0700
Tilley, my TR6, needs a bonnet seal: I am trieing to get her one from Special
Interest Car Parts (there was a short thread about them about 2 weeks
ago) in their current sale--they offered a real good price.

What I received from them is a rubber seal about 4 feet long, with a
"Y"  or "T" shaped cross-section and No metal clip in it.  (I was
told that the correct seal had a metal clip imbedded in it the length
of the seal).

I have called them and they are checking it out; there seems to be
some problem identifying the part...

Can someone confirm for me what the TR6 bonnet seal is like, please?

RE: TR6 Tyres: I am looking/leaning toward some Pirelli P-300 with
raised outlined letters, size 205/70 - 15.  They look nifty, have
a reasonably "aggressive" tread pattern, and the best local
price is $68.02 per tyre.  I know they are not "original"; I guess
I am going for the gusto...  Comments?

RE: Local LBC cars visible; in San Diego you see many beat MGBs, an
occasional TR6, usually in good to real good shape, and (to me
interestingly) a decreasing number of Fiat 124 Spyders.  The fiats
used to be ditched at every corner and used car lot, but nowadays very few of
them are to be seen on the street or in the lots.  What is still
available seems cheap, in comparison to LBCs.  Alpha Romeo's are
expensive also here.

In LaJolla, my residential area, there are LOTS of Jaguars and
Mercedes Benz.  Most of them new, or like new, and even frequent
XJS convertibles (I would REALLY like one of them!).  For a while,
before divorce and housing change, I would count the number of
MBs between my house and my bank--a distance of 2.3 miles.  I had
a high of 57 and a low of 19 per trip, one way!

Also interesting, I don't know any exact count, but there are Many
houses in the area with various "unique/interesting" cars tucked in the
garage.  In my block are 2 E-types, 1 Pantera (same owner--a lady
engineer) has a new Corvette, and my Tilley.  Half-block in the other
direction is a Jag MK-120 (basket case) and a Midget.  No, they
won't part with the Jag.  I really wonder how many there are of
these hidden treasures...?

Nick