Miata convertibles? - Squeaky TR7 brakes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Miata convertibles? - Squeaky TR7 brakes
From: Jody Levine <jody.p.levine@hydro.on.ca>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1993 11:02:21 -0400
Yes, most of these Miatas have their tops up! I can't understand this, as
I almost always have the top down, and the fact that I can't see through my
rear window has nothing to do with it, as when it's raining I just zip the
window down and prop it up with my hand at stop lights. Anyway, the funny
thing about Miatas with the top up is headroom. I have a friend who owns a
Miata who never drives it with the top up because he doesn't fit in it.
He also claims to look *over* the windshield! Driving around in my TR7 the
other day, I wound up behind a Miata with the top down, and sure enough,
the driver was looking over the windscreen. Another Miata, with the top
up, had a female driver who seemed to have no trouble, but her male passenger
had his head cocked to one side. Further observation would seem to indicate
that the seats are just too damn high! Would the Miata owners care to comment?
What's under the seats?

I haven't taken them apart to examine them yet, but the brakes on my TR7
squeal terribly. Is this just glazed pads or are there some anti-squeal shims
that are missing/not installed properly/defective/useless? Can someone
recommend some good brake pads?

Tire recommendation anyone? What did the TR7s come with, originally?
I have the alloy wheels. Also, the car is missing its lug nut wrench. I did
not think that this was a big deal, until I tried to buy one. What size
is it? 7/8 in. is too sloppy and I can't find one that's 22 mm, which is
still sloppy, but not as bad, and 21 mm is just a bit too small. Whitworth
lug nuts?.

We also tossed in an ordinary, variable load, electronic, turn signal flasher
on Greg's suggestion. Much better.

Jody.P.Levine@hydro.on.ca - Toronto, Canada - '79 TR7