electrical gremlins puzzle

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: electrical gremlins puzzle
From: John Wroclawski <jtw@lcs.mit.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 93 22:49:08 -0400
   From: "James A. TenCate" <jtc@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu>

   So, what happens to a car if the ballast resistor or coil goes bad???
   How can you tell?  What exactly goes bad in a coil?  Mine is only 70k miles
   old and is probably original equipment...

But first, a story.

Lo these many years ago, I drove the '3 from Boston to Hot Springs,
Arkansas, to St Louis, to Chicago, and finally back to, yes, just 45
miles from my house here, where my spiffy Lucas Sport coil decided
that it was bored, and wanted to sit on the side of the Mass Pike for
a while to see what drove by. So we did. Sat there for about a half an
hour, and then some guy in a Chevy stopped to see why I was sitting
there, and when I explained it he wandered back to his trunk and
opened it up and -gave me a coil- which he had because at some point
he had sat on the side of the Mass Pike for a while..

He made me promise that I'd do the same for the next guy if it came
up. And I will, too, except that it's damn hard to stuff a Lucas Sport
coil in yer '93 super-electronic goggomobile. (Hm, what kind of ignition
does a Miata have?)

                -john

John Wroclawski
jtw@lcs.mit.edu