Stiff windows/regulators

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Stiff windows/regulators
From: gall@gamma.uleth.ca (Greg Gall)
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 93 9:34:56 MDT
Hi all!

With the recent mention of TR7 window regulators, I thought I would give
my suggestions on a remedy.

If your window is very stiff when cranking it up, even after adjusting
the guide, the rubber's felt needs lubrication. A couple years ago, my
brand new Eagle Talon developed a certain stiffness in the window
mechanism and tended to squeek as the car drove over bumps. I was under
warranty so I took the car in to have the problem solved. When I went to
pick up the car, I was greeted by a friendly body-man who informed me
that the symptoms were not indicative of any problems. He explained that
some cars arrived from the factory that way and usually their
inspections spotted them. Upon detection, they would simply spray the
dry type of silicon lubricant into the channel rubber and work the
window up and down a couple of times before the silicon solvent in the
spray dried. He merely did this to my car, and I inspected it over to
ensure that the problem was solved. All was well (no squeeks, easy
cranking) and I thanked the guy for his help and signed for the work. As
I left, he again approached me and gave me the remnents of a can of
Mopar dry silicon lubricant. I inspected the can and its contents to
refeal the fact that this is just ordinary silicon spray available in
any department/general store.

Having had this remedy explianed to me by someone doing factory repairs
pleased me. A couple of years earlier, this is the same thing I had used
to fix the squeek and stiffness of both my Triumph TR7 and my Mazda GLC.
Ah-ha! Had had done it right after all! (I had just experimented
previously and settled on the silicon lubricant as a good solution).

Before buying new rubber and/or window regulators, you too might want to
try the silicon spray on your LBC.

Just my $.02 worth!

Good luck,
Greg.