Fuel tank repairs which work

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel tank repairs which work
From: Dennis <IEDXW@asuvm.inre.asu.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 1993 16:12:09 -0700 (MST)
I was once very poor and even cheaper.  My Midget developed a slight
leak in the fuel tank, so I pulled off the tank (cheap thin steel),
washed the inside of it out with ethanol first, then a hose pipe and cloths
washing powder, then lots of water from the hose pipe.  Then left it in the
for a short while for it to "dry" then washed it out with ethanol again and
used a vaccum cleaner to create air flow in the tank to evaporate all the
water/ethanol.  Then I took an electric drill and wire brush attachment
and gentle removed all paint.  Sanded all the bottom until it was shinny
steel with hundreds of rust spots and pin holes.  Then I used good old
epoxy glue and put a thin cover over all rusted/pin holed areas.  Then let
it dry, washed it once more with ethanol, painted the bottom with underseal
and put it back on the car.  Total parts cost = $3 for the epoxy as i nicked
(stole) the ethanol from my lab.

This was 4 years ago and its been fine ever since with one exception.  I
was road tripping in Montana once (3 years ago) and had to drive across some se
rious road work with bolders and pot holes anyway I some how got a dent in the
tank (as it on the bottom under the boot) which created a tiny hole so
I used a large self tapper and alittle gasket paper and just screwed the
selftapper into the hole.  This sealed the hole and has been fine ever since.

I would rather add stuff to the OUTside where I can see it rather than the
inside where i can't.

Good luck Roland with your tank!!

Cheers Dennis