MGB luggage rack

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB luggage rack
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 93 12:47:47 EDT
Well things seem to be going smoothly in preparation for the big trip
to Myrtle Beach, with one exception, my luggage rack.  I picked up a
used luggage rack a few weeks ago with the trip to Myrtle in mind and
Saturday I went over to Mark Dodd's (MAD) 100+ year old house where we
going to attempt to mount it.  After messing with it for a while (it
is slightly bent) we finally had everything lined up pretty well and
were ready to drill some holes.  A quick check of the underside of the
trunk lid revealed a problem; the trunk lid frame is right under where
we had planned to drill the holes.  This leaves a coupl options; get
longer bolts and drill though the frame and the trunk lid, drill a
really big hole in the frame part so we could get a socket in there,
or drill a somewhat big hole in the frame and use screws instead of
bolts (that way the hole in the fram only needs to be as large as the
screwhead.)  I'm leaning towards the last option, but I wanted some
net.opinions before drilling anything.

So, those of you with MGB's with American style luggage racks (check a
Victoria British catalog out to see what my rack looks like) how do
have them mounted to the trunk?

Despite what Joe Flake believe's, I'm going to need all the luggage
space I can get :-) so this is important.

Thanks,

Bob Jones (12 days 'til I hit the road)

p.s. Scott Fisher #1, why not just get a 12 cyl. Jag engine and shove
it in your green MGB (the one whose engine you recently blew :-)